That night Francois came by was the day after the National Assembly, (dominated by En Marche), had approved an exemption in the case of Notre Dame to the patrimony law governing restoration and maintenance basically providing free reign over the reconstruction - the wet dream of Macron. It seems, from your article Ken that the Senate has thankfully tempered the efforts of these so-called "moderates". Well, it is at this stage a purely bureaucratic process. I'm pretty sure Calame is in the midst of it all and could direct any good will on offer into the most effective channel. It's why I inquired about the contact.
Maybe a difference between Notre Dame and the Reims and Chartres reconstructions is that the concept of preservation, not being static, has gotten better since those jobs.That cultural heritage is more than simply material but includes the immaterial as well.
I won't go as far as assuming that with knowledge proper action follows but think there is maybe some small opening for a good broad-based lobbying action which might proceed along the strands of that tangled institutional web of French bureaucracy ending up on the table when the decisions are made.