Hi Mark,

I thought you would appreciate that solution...

It has always appeased building officials in my experience that are not familiar with traditional timber architecture, while still allowing for a traditional project to be facilitated without to much encumbrance from modernity...

Great choice!!!...Drilled and wedge anchor systems are an excellent choice and a "first choice" for any project such as yours. Wedged systems in general are superior as they are typically not only inspectable (which PE just love!!!) but they also allow for adjust-ability and more importantly in Historic Restoration work, they are "reversible" from a conservation perspective while sill serving the function of making a (perhaps?) compromised foundational system more secure...

Originally Posted By: MarkWill
...out of curiosity and inexperience, what purpose does the copper shroud serve?...

As to "copper" in general...

It is historically and traditional virtually a "magical material" in many ways from the context of architecture and the built structures of purpose by humans. There are too many to list here from the perspective of multiple traditional crafts that have literally been employed for over 7000 years in the building arts. From ship hulls, to the suppression of decay in eave timber assemblies where rafter plate, torching mortars and related timber assemblies (like stitch beams) meet. Copper flashing and subsequent related materials retard the migration of moisture, or at minimum (as condensation WILL!!! happen at times) the copper is noxious to most mold, fungi, and related "wee-beasties" that plague architecture at certain structural local...LIKE...sill beam assemblies...

Additional, there is more "not understood" completely why copper does what it does than is fully understood. Much of the building art's traditional practices, like the application uses of copper, are yet to be fully explored within the modern context of understanding (or even written down in applied modality within tome) that will take the next generation of tradtional practitioners to explore and "re-learn" fully what our forbears new and understood better...

I can say, in all its application forms that I have witnessed and practiced, that whenever the extra time and expense of the use of copper has been employed within proper context, that the results have never ceased to unparalleled in means and method when compared to any modern material or method...

Hope the project is going well for you...Look forward to updates!

J