I have not posted questions or responses to posts on this forum for quite some time. I am going to be very open and honest here and what I say represents my feelings and opinions as a budding timberframer and sawyer.

The reason I have not posted is because of a lack of activity on the forum compared to some others and vauge or almost sarcastic replies to those who are searching for direction and answers from what they perceive to be "Experts" as the forums name implies.

The name must be changed! I suggest you call it "ask for an opinion" page. This would protect the participants and negate the need for a disclaimer.

I see the TFGuild as an entity which is being pulled in two opposing directions. The "Professional" members would like to limit "free" professional opinions and therefore give vague and relatively unhelpful answers as they would prefer to charge an engineering and consultation fee. This is both fair and equitable for them however this is a not for profit site and education is supposed to be the primary stated goal of the TF Guild. Not protectionism or drumming up business or "buy the book". I would propose the following solution(s).

I like the idea of a posting form/survey to help guide a novice in posting a question. It would guide and educate them in answering some of their own design questions and also provide the Guild with some valuable data. For instance, to a professional timberframer, being asked a question about rafter size, the first response is: I need to know span, load info, wood species, etc. This is not so intuitive to the beginner.

Remember also that non-members can post as well as members and non-members do not have access to all of the Guild resources so telling them to consult a certain area of the website may not be a good answer and will only send them out on the web searching for free answers elswhere and they will probably be misguided and eaten by the wolves. This website should be a safe haven and the end of the road site those seeking truths regarding timberframe issues.

A survey/posting form could also serve as a source of contact information for those who wish to provide or engage professional services. By checking a box in the posting form stating "I would like to be contacted regarding paid professional assistance" and entering info such as type of project, date of construction etc.

Historically Guilds revealed trade secrets to apprentices only after they proved themselves worthy though internship and on a needs to know basis. There was a hierarchy system that kept the flow of valuble information out of the hands of the novice and demanded that they attain a cetain level of knowledge, skill and poficiency before they were granted apprentice, journeyman, craftsman or mastercraftsman status.

I would like to propose that the TF Guild begin an online training course that would be available to all who pay the annual membership fee and it would contain reading and study with an online test which upon passing would culminate in the attendance of a workshop or a rendezvous where a master would evaluate their understanding and level of skill. Those who post would have their skill level posted along with their screen name. At the Guilds Annual Conference there would be an induction ceremony each year to confer titles to individuals who progress through the Guild.

This approach would:
1. Increase forum participation without fear of legal reprisal or humilitation
2. Enhance and encourage Guild membership
3. Serve to educate the public and expose them to timberframing
4. Build working relationships between professionals and novices
5. Promote the business of professional timberframers to those who are not seeking to do it themselves and simply need professional advice or consultation.

Sounds similar to the purpose statement of the Guild doesn't it?

I would not consider myself an expert or barely a novice but I am eager to learn and I am always sifting through the posts here to try and glean information relevant to my projects. I do plan to join the Guild but I currently do more posting on an alternate website as the participants are more active, less sarcastic and tend to be more open about expressing opinions, giving practical advice and helpful info. The Guild currently tends to be be less active and more philosophical and protectionist in post responses.