Thanks Jay and others for the feedback and answering my silly questions as I teacher once told me well I should say taught me, ask a silly question remain a fool for a minute remain silent and remain a fool for a lifetime.

I am looking at something simple and following pretty closely a plan from one of my timber framing books.

Furrel chisels a 1 1/2' maybe a 2" or metric equivalence and maybe a corner chisel seems to be a good starter kit.

Interesting you are using metric for layout, I see a lot of the layout looks especially mortice templates borneman square or the one from timber HQ etc are imperial, as are most of the plans I have come across online and in books. Builders squares are still 2" and 1 1/2" even the metric ones on the market in oz. There is a little bit of me says get a metric one machined out of a solid block of aluminium kinda like the timber HQ model but all a single piece you could machine a relief fillet at the L plates too just like a builders square as at the L. I designed a grain mill for home brewing mashmaster.com that is all metric except for the keyed drive shaft it is imperial 1/2 couplings are easier than 12mm and get this the mounting bolds are UNC. Even in oz people just assume the drive shaft is 1/2" but the mounting blocks catch people out.

But I guess there is not a big difference between 1 1/2" and 40mm. Actually I read your comment over on the forestry forum (I assume it was you same user handle)

"2. Likewise, I’m using 1½” and 2” wide chisels (also used to check your mortise widths)."

Still use my "Barr" Chisels and other big old "bucks," among others. You can really pry with them and there the one's I let students use. The Japanese chisels are for me only. Now for their width, they are perfect. One cuts my 40 mm mortise, the other cuts the 50 mm mortise. They are both "over-sized," just enough to make a nice snug, but not overly tight joint.

I will have to have a think about metric, converting plans. I really think it would make working better.

As for measuring errors I know americans complaint about burning an inch, lol better than burning 100mm ahaha