I have not decided on layout method yet most books have square rule focus.

I was thinking of using an offset method of line layout from what is called the Reference Edge Rule which I assume is what you refer to as "Modern edge rule". This method, though not centre lined/asian line/soul line rule stops being edge rule and once again becomes "line rule" layout. This "Modern Edge Rule" is what is taught in the majority of the books I have so I am loathed to stray from it in my first build. If you have a good book you can recommend for asian line rule centre line rule I would be interested.

As for altering plans the only thing I really need to look at for my plans is roof overhangs or lack of them to be more precise I need them for the hot and wet climate I live in. Thankfully I am saved from worrying about snow loads. But wind loads for cyclones. Sadly I have seen a lovely timber framed building in state with ugly metal bolts holding down all the rafters, reason given it was either that or metal strapping because the engineers would not sign off on the wind loading without something they where familiar with and local government authorities prescribed all the requirements under code for stick framing.

Last edited by Francis; 10/21/20 10:44 PM.