Hello everyone tonite

Well just to continue my conversation with my supervisor reference historic saw horses, I began to do some research on the subject, and my search lead me to an old print in our research library.

The date of the print was 1756 in England, and it included workmen hewing , around them were their tools, as well as a lovely picture that included their 2 sawhorses

They exhibited unusual designs in their constructions, like nothing I had ever seen

I scaled them out as best I could, as follows,

Top main member 4inch square , roughly 43 inches in length
Legs 3inch square, set flush with the end of thr top member
These leg were splayed to the side roughly 12inches, making a stance of 24 inches
The legs were shouldered 3/4 inch against the top main member
The legs were not splayed end wise, but rather had a perfectly vertical stance
About 12 inches from ground level, a cross member approx 2.5inches in cross section was mortised into the opposing leg
This was typical both sets of legs
On this was neatly seated a 1" board used to rest tools on, this board was also neatly cut around the legs at each end
Note--wood pegs were noted to secure all points in the construction

These horses were eventually constructed, and used extensively on site,

Their features were noted as follows,
1- they were very strong, and could carry heavy timbers easily
2-their built in platform were great to lay sharp tools on
3-their height was right for hand work on timberframe timbers

The timberframing's unit had only praise for them , and the visiting public seemed very interested in them, and requested where the design originated from, many times
Well I hope you enjoyed this trip down memory lane

If any of you can draw up a sketch of t he design and post it I would appreciate it, and thank you in advance for those looking in

Hoping to hear from you

NH

Last edited by northern hewer; 12/13/21 02:35 AM.