I have this book and it's a good beginners book with a lot of good information. Get it on amazon, probably best price there.
When it comes to a shop or garage, I am always worried about moisture, especially if you are not going to heat it. I'm guessing it's a little drier out there in Kansas than here in the heard of the midwest, which is good for you. Moisture rises from the ground most nights of the year. A car parked on grass and left sit, will rot out 10 times faster than one left sitting on a concrete pad. Put your wood frame directly over dirt, and you'll get the same moisture and rot. Concrete and a vapor barrier are a big help. But even with concrete, there is still the issue of condensation inside the garage. Condensation occurs as the temperature quickly passes through the dew point. The air temp goes up quickly, but the steel vehicle is still much colder and takes longer to warm up. In the presence of enough moisture in the air, the water will condense on the vehicle, concrete and whatever is cold enough. It's just like your cold glass of soda and the condensation forms on the glass. The presence of moisture on the vehicle will cause rust much faster. Condensation on wood will lead to mildew and eventually rot too. Not trying to scare you, but I build classic cars and have to make sure I don't get moisture. I always keep my shop/garages heated to 65 or so. I'll also mention that insulating the building well and using a vapor barrier will reduce this problems for you. The insulation reduces quick changes in temperature.