Timbo,

I am sort of in the same boat there with you. Not so much just TF but larger construction in general.
There seems to be a huge misconception out there about what it takes to build anything with a certain size. I get calls about additions or building a house somewhat frequently. I talk to the customers, show them my portfolio......
Everthing seems to be going fine until they ask when I could start and how many guys I would have on the job. That is usually the end of it. Then when I look around I can see why they are thinking that 2 guys cannot build a house but 4-6 can. They are used to seeing that many guys on the job. Now wether or not they all are actually working does not seem to matter. There are 4-6 guys so that is what it takes. I have seen to many jobs though with a large crew on it. And most of the time they are just standing around talking and if you were lucky enough you might see one or two of them working. Slow pace though. Yeah, they are right it takes 4-6 because that way they can be assured that somebody will be working some. But they are paying all of them for just being there. So you need to come up with some other way to proof that you can pull it off. I have great references but even they do not really help when it comes down to it. At the most they get your foot in the door.

If you are interested I am trying to aquire a piece of land and want to build a German Timberframe spec house on it. This way I hope I can get some customers interested. Plus they can see that I can build a house with just two guys and not a bunch of......, well lets not get into that. But I am still in the planning phase of it.