I know what you mean E.H.

The customer shops around, until they are certain they have the best price to start with. Then they try to negotiate a better one.

Make changes all through the project add things that they admit at the time was not in the bid. But still expect it to be done for nothing and sometimes get it.

And STILL at the end of the job they don't want to pay the bill.

Its wierd. But what do you do. You can sue everyone of them if you want to... But what does that do for your reputation.

You try to build the absolutely best house you can build and your reputation along with it knowing you are doing lots of extras, that absolutely weren't in the bid.

And all I want is a happy customer at the end of the job who pays thier bill. The one they agreed to in first place. We don't hide anything. Everything is in the contract and revised in the change orders. And STILL at the end of the job its always a same dance different partners to get paid.

The saddest part is I can't afford a timber frame home LOL.

We have come to the conclusion if the customer isn't going to be happy no matter what we do. We are going home with thier money. No sense having them be complaining and doing it with my money in thier pocket at the same time.