Hello,

My wife and I just had a timber frame/post and beam panel house constructed and finished just over a year ago. I just found something that causes me concern and I thought I would write to your guild looking for advice and guidance.

So far, I have found five wooden pegs that were not driven completely though mortise and tenon joints. I have not examined every joint in the house yet. It appears that the peg was driven in from one side, and when it didn't line up correctly with the hole on the other side of the mortise, a shorter peg was simply driven in from the opposite side to give the appearance of a properly pegged joint. My first reaction was that this is improper construction and weakens both the joint and the frame as a whole. But before I do anything further, we thought it would be advisable to look for a third-party professional opinion.

We are disturbed that the house we built and are paying for is not built to correct timberframing standards.

Is there any advice or help anyone could provide in this matter? My wife and I would greatly appreciate it. I am available both by email or cell phone.

Thank you,

Brett Weiser
Gardners, PA 17324

717-215-0673