Thanks again, Jim, for taking time out of your schedule to get lost while trying to find our house and still have the patience to answer my questions and take a look at the issues. My wife and I really appreciate it.

We did take issue with the lag bolts at the time of construction and the timberframer was surprised that we actually had a clue about what a timberframe was. He then started spouting BS to the effect of building codes and snow loads and other garbage to justify him using lag bolts.

However, at that point, the frame was 2/3 up, we were in a construction loan time frame, and didn't feel like we had much leverage to make them do it right because it would have required a complete redesign of the frame to make the joints work without the lag bolts. Lesson learned. So, when I found these pegs, my wife had to peel me off the ceiling. It appalled me that these guys had the audacity to do this peg cover up after we had already confronted them about the lagbolts.

I do plan to make the builder aware of this issue, now that I have a professional, third-party opinion to back me up so I can filter what they try to tell me. But, to reinforce what Jim said, I really have no interest in lawsuits--I just want our frame to be correct. I grew up on a farm with many timberframed barns so I know what can be achieved through this craft. To take shortcuts on a house frame disappoints me. I definitely should have done more homework before picking the builder.

I don't know if it's kosher or not, but I'd be more than happy to post the name of the firm if anyone is interested.

Brett