I'm planning to build a hybrid house near the coast in an area where we have more than our share of hurricanes. (five in three seasons) I want a structure that is immune to any contingency. Even though I'm not in any flood hazard area the house will be well elevated. The foundation and major structural components are large, round timbers (poles). The poles transfer all loads deep into the ground. There are no load bearing walls.

The problem is, how and where to find a structural engineer who has a clue about construction with large timber members and pole frames. It seems the local field of expertise deals only in massive concrete and easily replaceable stick-framed blow-through wonders. When I mention pole frames and beams with deflection limits in excess of L/900, etc., I just get blank, slack-jawed stares and stupid comments like "We only design for L/360 'round heah."

Any tips on how to obtain decent uplift-wind load analyses from wizards like this? I need a structural analysis and approval to get a building permit but it seems somewhat hollow if I have to learn to do all the engineering so I can instruct the engineer in how to do the engineering that I have to pay him to do for me so I can get a permit to build my house.

Any ideas gratefully accepted.
Don