Don, If you do not think your local building code is adequate try looking into one of the model building codes such as the Southern Building Code or ASCE-7. No local building code will prevent you from building something stronger than it requires.
The AF&PA publishes the "Wood Frame Construction Manual for One- and Two-Family Dwellings, 1995 High Wind Edition" which is not too technical, because even I, an engineer, can understand it.
FEMA publishes the "Coastal Construction Manual" which is a little out-dated but very helpful with structures elevated on piles, (it is also free.)
In the investegations of failures caused by Hurricane Andrew, most of the buildings that were built under current codes, failed due to poor workmanship rather than because of inadequacies in the code.
I would use the Southern Building Code and if you feel it is necessary factor the loads up to a higher confidence level, (a 100 year storm rather than 50 or 75). Also I would pay very close attention to uplift resistance and tying all elements down in a continuous load path to the foundation.
There is an old dutch saying that says "If you have 10 dollars to spend on planting a tree, spend 2 on the tree and 8 on the hole."
When building in a hurricane region I would modify the saying as such: "If you have 10 dollars to spend on a structure, spend 2 on the lumber and 8 on Simpson connectors."