confused I am preparing to build a timber frame home in 2 stages:
The 1st stage will be a basement in which we will live until the finances become available to build up. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by doing something that I will later regret.
We were trying come up with storage so we thought we would poor the basement and put down the floor joists and then go ahead and put down the subfloor. this would allow much storage and a finished floor - but wait... how do you go up from there??

1. Can the large beams rest on the subfloor and joist at the edge of the home just as they would a sill plate? Or are the joist too weak.

2. Possibly could we place in large metal connectors on the sill later that would allow direct connection the the concrete wall?

4. is there any special reinforcement that needs to be placed where posts rest on a basement floor?

5.The last complication is we want to have about half of the basement exposed thus half of it will be stick frame or structural panels (OSB). Once again we are faced with how to bear the load and keep the walls evenif we use large timbers for the upstairs? Will the panels carry this or what are my options?(perhaps a smaller post to even out the load)

If my plan is hopeless let me know!
thanks for your help in advance...