I have designed my own frame and consulted local timber framers about my design (spans, beam dimension, etc...). The only thing I failed to discus was braces. I may have taken this for granted. My frame is white pine (32x40), posts are 8x10, I won't get into the rest. I like the looks of a curved brace (not sure what this style is called) and I sized my braces to be 3x8 so I could do this. This middle section would be 5" or 6", which ever is more appealing to me. The problem is, and I didn't realize until I had milled out most of them, that normally when a 3x8 or 3x6 brace is used it is oak. My braces are going to be 2 3/4" x 7 3/4" when planed (pine). I'd like some opinions of whether or not this will be sufficient? Can I use these or should I start over using 4x8 braces (of couse milling them to 4 1/4" x 8 this time)? If I can use them can I use a 1 1/2" tenons or stay with a 2" tenon? I planned to house all brace tenons on the outer perimeter of the frame. None of the frame has been cut yet. Keep in mind that I don't really want to mill out more braces, however, I also don't want to skimp and end up with a poor looking frame. Please advise... thanks!