Hi all:

Just got back from a mandatory seminar hosted by the newly formed Texas Residential Commission regarding the new mandatory structural warranties that are going into effect here in Texas on 06/01. Basically our state government has decided to impose mandatory warranties for various aspects of residential building. For instance, the builder will have to warranty materials and workmenship for one year and mechanical systems for 2 years. Last but not least, the builder will have to warranty the structure for ten years. Not a big deal right, that is, until you get to the part that specifically addresses timber beams & posts. Apparently, in order to protect the original and subsequent homeowners, the builder will have to honor any requests to replace any timber that develops a check or crack greater than 1/2" in a 36" span. The state is treating this as a major structural problem. What I need from my fellow Guild members is any information directing me to any published reports regarding the structural integrity of timbers with checking. Once the warranties go into effect on 06/01, it will be next to impossible to modify. Oh and by the way, it was explained to me today, that the builder would not be able to "contract themselves out" of any liability. Thanks in advance.

J. Alexander Lowe & Sons
"In The German Tradition"
877-815-2417