To All:

At the Burlington eastern conference, during one of the many engineering discussions, it was mentioned that the TFEC needs to educate the general timber framers about when to get the engineer involved in the design process.

I would like to ask the group for their input.

When I design a frame for a client, I ask them for the following items to be provided to me, in writing. They are: room sizes and locations (a floor plan) for each floor, what type of rafter system they want, common or principal with purlins, and either wall heights or ceiling heights, doorway and window location (so they don’t interfere with braces), type of wood for the timbers they like to use and any other special info they’d like to share with me.

I then create a 3d model of the frame with my computer CAD software, including joinery decisions.

We review the frame together and work out any changes that they see or want, and any problems that I encounter while trying to fulfill their wishes.

After they have approved the design, in writing, I create dimensioned bent drawings, 3D isometric drawings, and dimensioned joinery detail drawings. These detail drawings include all of these that apply to their frame: brace detail, collar beam detail, eave detail, floor joist detail, king post detail, post detail, queen post detail, ridge detail, strut detail, tie beam detail and sill detail. Some general frame rules, such as whether or not the braces are flush with the bent’s layout face or centered. And some joinery specifications, such as whether or not the tenon is two inches off the layout face and then two inches thick, type of thing.

With these drawings they then create the frame for themselves or find a timber framer to work with them.

So, my question to the group is "When does the engineer get involved?"

What I'm trying to avoid is creating a lot of drawings and then have them checked by an engineer and finding something wrong or not strong enough and having to redraw again.
If I have to redraw something to make it right then ok, but I need to understand how to charge or not to charge the customer.
I have a client that will need his frame design stamped to comply with his building inspector.
Should I find someone now who will stamp it and ask them what or when do they want to see my drawings? And or what will they need?
And then do my best to size the timbers correctly for the loads I know?
Any and all help you can forward to me will be greatly appreciated.

I’d be interested in hearing all opinions.

Thank you very much.

Jim Rogers
Jim Rogers Timber Designs
Jim Rogers Sawmill
Georgetown, MA

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!