Hey Mark, and yes, that is precisely what I want to do in getting the post placed in the four-foot deep hole, THEN moving it around to its exact location. Once it is where it is going to be, I will brace it plumb and pour in the concrete. I calculate that I will need to mix about 5 bags of ready-mix for my 2-foot diameter hole with an 8x8 post in the middle of it.

And Roger, thanks for your input, but there is nothing that sounds quick and easy about pouring a footer and four-foot concrete pier with it. I was really planning on just mixing the crete myself, and making a pier would probably be more than I care to mix by hand. But this would definitely be "PLAN B" if I wasn't so sold on wrapping the bottom with this Vycor stuff. I am going pack the rest of the hole (around the post) with 3/4" rock.

This is going to be an open-frame structure; so uplift because of heavy winds is part of the design consideration. IMO, embedding rebar in the bottom sides of a waterproofed post to secure it in the footer is a much more secure attachment than a "U" strap or a threaded rod.

I am interested in any other thoughts on this subject. -- Tim