Hey SAA (Daniel),

I tried replying to your e-mail today, but the response couldn't be delivered to you for some reason - "couldn't find server" or something like that. So, I'll paste below what I wrote to you:

"The framing of an eyebrow dowmer need not be a whole lot different, for the most part, than a shed/pent roof dormer. One of two methods is usually employed: either the roof is sheathed and the dormer scabbed on to the top of the sheathing - a common enough solution in light framing. Alternatively, the opening is completely framed in timber. I have attached a picture of one solution to that framing from a German layout book - F. Kramer's "Grundwissen Des Zimmerers". I believe it will answer your question on how the main roof rafters can be supported as they intersect the eyebrow framing elements.

The real difficulty of the matter, it seems to me, is developing the profiles for the series of curved eyebrow joists as they reduce in size, pair by pair, going toward the plane of the main roof. There are some tricks for that, but it is really an exercise in descriptive geometry. There are also several different eyebrow profiles to consider, and the matter of whether the eyebrow projects in a straight line from the main roof plane, in a curve, or even askew to the roof plane.

Chris

My blog on carpentry practice, East and West:

https://thecarpentryway.blog