I am a first time owner/builder desiging a high-posted cape house built with sips. I am shooting for a Shaker style interior with heart pine floors, peg rails, 11 in. mop boards, etc.. I would like to have a plank and beam 2nd floor built using T&G 2x6 or 8's nailed to beams 2'9" oc. My plan is to balloon frame with the sips (12') from foundation to eave giving me 8'on the 1st floor, 12" allowed for the 2nd floor deck and a 3' knee wall from the 2nd floor to where the roof line will start. My question is would it make sense to "ring" the inside of the sips at 8' high with beams (I'm thinking 4x12's) supported every 8' or so by posts? My plan is 25 x 33 and I intend to have two carrying (?) beams dividing the 33' dimension into thirds thereby giving me 11'(+/-) spans for the joist beams. The center 11' span will be mostly open to the 2nd floor except for the front 1/3 of that center 11' bay which will be floored in effect giving me a "U" shaped 2nd floor deck. If after reading this you are totally confused...join the club.

Thanks..glad I found this forum,

JP