hello, All.

Could I get some educated estimates on how long it might take me to dismatle this barn.

The details:

I will be working mostly alone with the part-time help of some family and friends. None of the timbers are too big to man-handle as the long dimensions are all made from scarfed sections.

Once i have the frame fully exposed, i intend to hire the help of someone like jack Sobon to oversee the actual dismantling of the frame.

It's an early/mid 1800's square rule horse barn which was converted to a store in the 1970's. so inside main floor is sheetrocked and insulated.

40'x30', 4 bent/3 bay with 4' knee wall.

standard pitched roof, no ridge beam, perlins supporting rafters at midspan the length of roof (40'). inner posts of each bent extend thru the ceiling to join the perlins.

Roofing is slate on one side, tar singles on other. Various windows (2 huge bay and 4-5 double hung). One stardard 36" door.

Sheathing is board & batten over plank walls.

I only need to take down the structure to the foundation. Foundation is not my responsibilty. I have agreed to pay for disposing of all the junk(rock, insulation, wiring, carpeting etc...) in order to get the structure, as well as windows, doors, flooring, slate, sheathing etc...

The owners other plan was to hire a wrecking crew as it is located on his buiness sight and in the way of his new additon. It is in great shape and solid as a rock. With the extras, i think worth the cost of around (4) 30 yard dumpsters (I'm guessing).

Thanks for your help!

Shaun Garvey
berkshirebarns.com
Dalton, MA