Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Rogers:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Professor:
[b]

If it is scribe rule frame you may also find the master compass settings (circles) scribed into one of the beams. These were used to refernce the compass settings throughout the buildings construction.
When I first read this, I thought you meant compass setting like north, south, east, and west. But what you're talking about are circles scribed into a timber by using a set of dividers.
A compass in the drawing world has a pencil on one leg of the divider, to draw an arc or circle.
Sometimes we need to define our terms so others can understand what we mean.
Taking "turns" down a timber is usually done with dividers as each leg has a very sharp point, unless I'm totally mistaken.

Jim Rogers

PS. I have #3) Richard Babcock, Barns; Researched, Restored, and Resurrected Using Ancient Methods; (no publisher listed), 1998, p. 13b, p.21 (possibly 1500s Chapel) great book.[/b]
Hi Jim,

I used the word "compass" interchangibly with divider as that's the term Mr. Babcock used in my conversations with him. I can see where it may have caused some confusion.

BTW, I did use a compass (the one with a pencil) for my first scribe rule project (just to practice layouts). I made up a wood rack out of irregular 4" X 4" stock, all mortise and tennon and pegged together. Still has the penciled in circles showing........

Mad Professor