In the uk and europe we can trace the progression of timber framing from the iron age to the present day. We are lucky enough to have a wealth of archological evidence which spans many thousands of years. This wealth of knolage is being carried forward and is used every day by framers all over europe.

As most of the early settlers of the US were European it should follow that the framing techniques both in the US and here should be the same. So why is it that the American system is so totaly different? This is the sixtyfour million dollar question.

I shall put forward my own theory, shoot me down in flames if you wish.

From the ice age on the forests of Europe have been affected by the presence of man. First they were cleared for farming and later they became used for ship building, housing, charcoal, furniture, etc, etc. By the time the pilgrim fathers set out for America good quality timber is as hard to find in Europe as rocking horse S""t. Ariving in America the settlers are faced with a continent covered with trees, millions of them (native americans not having much use for them they have survived well). Suddenly there is know need to use every last scrap. All you need to do is knock the corners of and saw your logs up into nice square beams.If you cant make enough square bits from one tree you just cut another one down. As far as I can tell this is still the case today (timber being much cheaper in the states than hear).

Timber in the states also seems to be of better quality (lots of nice tall straight trees).

Both of these factors lend them selves to the square rule system, which was developed (i think) in response to the abundance of free timber.

In europe however, with are small stunted and rare trees we had to use every last bit. Not for us the luxury of lovely straight beams hence the scribe rule.

This may all be twaddle, however I cant think of a better explanation.

Paul Denney

PS excuse spelling, no spell checker.