Paul, I think you are mostly correct; that is, I have come to believe something similar. When the first foreign joiners arrived in the North American forest they probably all had stiff necks and slack jaws from astonishment.

Unfortunately, North Americans still behave as if we had an infinite abundance of tall tress, in spite of our government's (we get the government we deserve) efforts to subsidize the discounted removal of the remainer of the quality forest. It's enough to make a fellow cynical.

Let me correct the impressions advanced in your note about timber quality and cost in the UK. During my recent adventures in Scotland I had the pleasure of discussing these matters with a charming timber merchant or two. After much finger counting and napkin figuring (converting pounds to dollars and cubic feet to board feet) we concluded that heavy timber pricing is at least similar. Either that, or we were the unwitting receivers of a generous mark-down.

As for quality, my Guild brethren share my astonishment at the quality of the oak we were permitted to drag through the mud.

[This message has been edited by Joel McC (edited 03-12-99).]