I must comment on Paul's reply about the differences between US and British framing. He mentioned that the American natives did't have much use for the trees and there were plenty left for the European emigrants to use (plunder actually). That is highly inaccurate! The natives used trees for housing, tools, utensils, etc. just as we do today. They just had a respect for nature, and used things from nature in a more sustainable way. As my heritage is both Alaskan native and European (Some direct descendents were on the Mayflower others were enjoying themselves on the Aleutian Islands.), I seem to be drawn towards both styles of using wood.
Here on the west coast their is a rich history of architecture from the native residents. Unfortunatly there is not much interest in understanding it or influence from it in our local building. Most timber framers here are building Eastern style, or European influenced homes. In fact the timber framing community in the US seems to be very driven by East coast ideals.
My new home, which I am currently framing, is influenced by another west coast style, Arts and Crafts. Bernhard Maybeck did it best. I couldn't talk my wife into the long house inspired home I designed for us (Must be her British and Irish ancestry speaking from her bones), But I am looking for that perfect client who would like to have something unique and West Coast Indian inspired.
Also here on the west coast, we have very early British examples of architecture. Here in Tacoma at Point Defiance park, we have an old British fort, with some original buildings still standing. Very interesting timber stave construction, Unfortunatly not getting proper care. Another pursuit of mine.
Well I've rambled on, but I have strong feelings on the subject of native architecture and am sad when it is overlooked, and not remembered. Ben Beers.