Further to Rupert's request below :-

Dear Ken,

Thank you for your letter. Could you post your comments on the TFG UK Today site, so everyone out there can hear your views, that would be very helpful.

Regards,

Rupert
-----Original Message-----
To: Rupert@westwindoak.com <Rupert@westwindoak.com>; prpem@globalnet.co.uk <prpem@globalnet.co.uk>; cowco@netcomuk.co.uk <cowco@netcomuk.co.uk>; joel@tfguild.org <joel@tfguild.org>; will@tfguild.org <will@tfguild.org> Date: 25 November 1999 13:26
Subject: UK Timber Framers

Dear Rupert,

Thanks for all you are doing to get the UK Framers together.

I would appreciate if you could keep me appraised of progress.

I must confess that I, like Paul Price, am not so keen on the selected name and wonder why with the TFGNA now voting to change its name to TFG that we do not simply use this as our primary vehicle, have a UK chapter and then simply get on with organising events this side of the pond, even invite our American and European cousins.

These days I find myself more and more involved on both sides of the pond and have yet another UK / US workshop coming up this February to be held in Oxon / Hants.

The world is getting smaller and methods of communication are now so good that it might be worth reflecting whether it is really necessary to form yet another new organisation. Maybe it might be better to strengthen the existing organisation so that we all have a wider perspective of the craft and an increased awareness of business opportunities.

My suggestion to the assembled fellowship is that they request that the TFG form a UK chapter and appoint a permanent UK person who would be elected by the UK membership to the TFG board. This would then let us concentrate on the activity side rather than get bogged down in administrative matters. Please recognise that this is where things floundered before.

With both Will and Joel are now full time TFG executives and we need to widen the membership base in order to better support the TFG organisation.

Paul Price has made excellent strides with Mortise and Tenon and this is now available in the States via TFGNA. We also have Bill Keir's UK Today page on the website.

Ah - if only life could be this simple.

Regards

Ken Hume