Keith:

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm a novice in this field, so I'm going to have to ask for clarification on a couple of your points.

You mentioned using 2x4's on top of the ISO panels, and Brian talked about using 5/4 strapping. Are you talking about the same things here? Would I nail these through the ISO panels, and then place my roofing on top?

I'm not clear how the laterial recesses you mentioned work. They are on 2'centers - are you suggesting using these recesses for the strapping? What about the vapour barrier. Shouldn't it go on the heated side, i.e. before the ISO panels, not on top of them?

Critter prevention is a major objective for me. I'm not familar with the hardware cloth you mentioned. How wide is this stuff? Would it wrap around the joist and rafters, and then across the floor or roof?

Thanks for your help.

Bryson

Quote:
Originally posted by keithrf:
Bryson:
I agree with Brian. Also, I wouldn't worry about heat loss through the joists and spacers in the second layer. You will lose some heat no matter what you do. Brian's suggestion to use 2x4s and ISO panels faced with OSB will take care of most of it. Also, the ones I have seen come with lateral recesses in either 16" or 24" OC so you can apply them like sheets of decking and acheive the desired R factor. Then you put on your vapor barrier and roofing materials.
As to the critters, there is no getting around them. I would use some hardware cloth strips wide enough to bend and come up at least a little ways on the sides of the joists on each side and fold up the full height on the bottom and top ends. If you get the 1/4" HWC, it will prevent a lot of the furry little beasts from making your home their home. I would do this in the floor and the roof. I am aware that it is an added expense as well as an expenditure of extra energy and time, but it will pay you dividends in the long run, and that's what timber framing is all about, isn't it?

Keith in Houston