Zak,
From your questions it sounds as though you are yet inexperienced in this Trade.

That is not neccesarily an obstacle to starting a "Business", but, I would ask, without experience, what makes you think that THIS Business is the one which is right for you?

I can imagine that many investors would ask the same thing, and, that most clients would want to know why they should place their trust -- and their cash! -- with you.

Timber Framing is that marvelous trade (like many actually) that requires little in the way of Starting Capital -- Don's response is a good example.

In Residential Construction, the Capital is typically provided for by the Client, you provide the expertise the tooling and the crew. And through properly scheduling dispersments you seek to avoid cash-flow problems.

In a SMALL company, Tools are accumulated along the way, as you are accumulating experience, and, thus, there is no reason to seek out an investor to help you to purchase them.

It seems as though, we are trying to say, starting a small business is Not that difficult. But, the first step is to educate yourself -- even a little bit -- Learn the answer to what tools you will need by at least reading some books, and, the answers to the rest of the questions will begin to answer themselves.

Lastly
The best school I would recomend is someone's shop. Why pay money to learn when someone could be paying you, but, I went that route, many others prefer to get a few tips and learn on their own.

And, word of mouth is still the best advertising there is. (good or bad)

Tim Berube