Hey Jeff,

I bet you didn't think you would get this much feedback! Anyway I hope your still having fun.
Just to add some validation, I've taken a quote from Steve Chappell's "A Timber Framer's Workshop";p141

"Pine timbers should be stacked and stickered with one inch Stickings between layers, and one inch side-by side so that there is an even air flow around each timber. Rows should be no wider than four feet, with the timbers stacked high to gain the benefit of the wight of the timbers themselves to resist twisting. Oak timbers can be stacked tight b/c blue stain does not affect hardwoods. In the initial stages of curing, air circulation is not such a great factor as time. Oak tends to crown, twist and warp much more dramatically than pine, so extra care should be taken when stacking and stickering. Stickers should be spaced EVERY TWO FEET"

You really shouldn't be thinking in terms of strength when you say "If you think about it; A timber which will span 8 - 12 Feet in the finished frame certainly does not need to be supported every 2 Feet in the Stack."

Of course its strong enough. But you should be thinking in terms of how to minmize the affects of different drying rates between compression wood and tension wood during curing (ie. removal of water outside the cell wall 4-6 wks after Jeff gets his wood ). It doesn't matter how strong the timber is, the timber will twist and crown depending on how much reaction wood (large variation btwn tension and compression wood) there is. You can sometimes look at a timber's growth rings to predict how its going to dry but good luck getting it right the first time you stack you timber to cure. This why the initial curing process should be thought of much like a flower or leaf press with air circulation. That's why stickers aren't placed less than two feet. We need to maximize the support in one plane but we also need air circulation.

Having said that I know lots of people that don't sticker every two feet. They're also masters when it come to fitting on raising day. I suspect there is less concern over the affects of curing for some because with power tools one can easily get rid of a twist or bowe by simply passing an electric plane over it. But still, it means more prep time on your timbers. If you're just using hand tools, I would think this would bare greater concern.

Ian :p