I am sending out this massage on behalf of the congregation of St. Peter's Lutheran Church of Williamsburg Ontario Canada. Their problem is how to repair one end of a timber truss that has has weakened due to dry rot. The bottom chord of the truss (the first one inside the end wall) measures 12" by 14" in cross section and is hand hewn pine. It supports 1\2 of the weight of the spire of the church and the ceiling itself. The truss spans 45 feet and was well constructed in 1865 the date of manufacture.
The rot was just recently discovered and is presently four feet from the end. The problem is that it no longer rests on the stone wall and presently has no support at that end. It has dropped approx. 2 " and the brace on the upper side of the truss has moved out of position due to this drop and shift of the end.
I suggest plating the truss with 1\2" by 12" flat plates on the sides approx. 10 feet long and manufacturing 3\4" u bolts to encircle the plates and the truss with the threaded sections up through 3\4" by 3" cap plates and then brought up tightly with nuts. I am suggesting a set of u bolts every 12", and 3\4 " bolts right straight through the plates every 16". I am also suggesting pressuring in a fungicide to stop the rot.
Can the rotted section be stabilized with and injection of some type of material?
Will someone comment on what I am suggesting as a fix please.
Richard Casselman