To your question about a timberframer - the answer is: Both.

While I am studying as much as I can about designing timber frames, in order to determine what is and is not 'reasonable', we are looking at taking our initial ideas to a professional to be re-worked and 'vetted'.

I'm not sure I agree 100% with the comments about the SIPs. While I agree that they _would_ have a 'firming' effect - I'm of the 'purist' opinion that the elements of the house (masonry, frame, shell, foundation) should be independently 'complete' and not rely on one another. The frame might be able to last for 300-400 years, the paneld for only 40-50, etc. They should function independantly as well. This doesn't mean that they cannot support one another - but that support should be supplimentary, not essential.

As to the actual design - it's _very_ simple in my mind so far - a 28x42, 2 story colonial frame - no dormers, no ornamentation, and whichever roof system is simplest. Three bays, 4 bents - bents are three posts wide on the main floor, a simple king-post with struts truss design on the second. The only irregularities being the possible double-girting in place of the knee braces, and the shifting of the bent-to-bent support in the middle of the bent-frame, between the 2nd and 3rd bents 4 feet north (making a catwalk).

I have checked out your website, and the style I have in mind is most like - Large 4 bay American Aisled Threshing Barn (40 x 60 ft)