I see that we are far apart on what bales weigh or can weigh. Equipment, crops and conditions vary. Grandpa's baler is on it's last legs and will be replaced. John Deere offers a large square baler that produces 31.5" x 31.5" x 96" bales to a max. weight of 1,000 lbs. Over 18 pcf. That particular size is designed to fit a truck trailer, dense, stackable and stable in transit, this is a commodity bale. Small bales are also sold in the commodity market but are less desirable due to increased handling, high density bales are required for small bales to have a place in the greater market.

Suppose I want to build a theater with a balcony. The balcony will only be open for the kiddie matinee and no over 65 lbs. will be allowed, so I claim. So let's build to a lesser standard. No one should trust me to keep the public safe in the future. The kiddie theatre failed and new ownership thinks big people buy more tickets. Our building standards should and do guide us towards the future.

When the old balers get replaced density goes up.

I called a Minnesota marketer of alfalfa hay today and asked how heavy are your bales? 3' x 4' x 8' bales vary from 1000 to 1300 lbs.

Please check this out for yourself.