I've read much about the respective pros & cons of green vs. dry timber design/layout/construction. It seems that the main reason to use dried timbers is stability and the 2 main reasons not to use dried timbers is cost (time and money) and workability. I have questions regarding both cost and workability. There seems to be little discussion of Solar Kilns. Solar kilns are realitively cheap to construct and allow for a controlled environment to dry that minimizes checking and twisting by allowing the wood to "rest" at night. The process takes longer than regular kiln dry but essentially requires only the sun (plus minamal needs for fans etc.)
Q1: From what I know, Solar kilns aren't usually used to dry post and beams the size typically found in timberframing but if done slowly enough why couldn't it be done?

Q2: Regarding workability (and not considering other factors such as strength, weight, straightness, stability, regional availability, etc.) Would using dried softer woods overcome the problems that hardwoods like oak present when dry?