Hello Milton:
I will try and reply to your questions that pertain to my style of "hewing", or "broadaxing" usually associated with the squaring up of timber to be used for timberframe reconstructions\repairs, and new construction displays nowadays.
I must emphasize that how I positioned myself as I worked is not necessarily the only way that others worked, It is predominantly the way that research has proved to us here in Ontario Canada that "hewing" was carried out by the Early pioneering family groups that migrated to this part of the New World from Germay, England, Scotland, Ireland, Holland and France.
The Curved handles of all the broadaxes in the Collection here at UCV curve outward from the flat of the blade usually about 3". This means that the hewer had to stand on the outside of the surface to be hewn. With that technicality out of the way and after you have scored the log by standing on the top surface you would then reposition yourself beside the log standing according to your preferred hand style. Being right handed myself I grasp the axe with my right hand close to the head of the axe, and my right foot slightly ahead of my left foot, but not far enough ahead to be in harm's way. I begin the process of hewing by working forward while removing the large chunks of wood between the deep scoring marks, the bases of which reach within approximately 3\4" of the finished line.Upon reaching the end of the log, I then reposition myself on top, and with the scoring axe, I put in multiple series of scoring marks one above the other, and approximately 3" to 4" apart again the full length of the log. I would then work backward along the log removing the remaining 3\4" fo material down to the finished surface taking care to leave as smooth a surface as possible. This would continue for all four sides.
notes:
Standing on the log is only necessary when you are scoring below and between your feet.
The logs are usually placed only on bedpieces that are above the surface of the ground 4 or 5 inches maximum.
The Northern Hewer