Joel

I would like to offer up my rating of the various mortise machines. I own a Makita chisel and a Mafell chain mortisers and have used frequently, but not recently, the Makita chain mortiser.

The versatility of the various machines is dependent on your needs or pocketbook in the case of the Mafell.

The Mafell is configured to the task and capabilities are limited to the configuration. Basically, you buy a motorhead that is fitted with a guide frame and with a bar and chain that will cut a specific mortise width with one plunge. So you must have issues of joinery vocablulary and mortise width solved before ordering the machine. The machine registers the cut placement with a fence, depth gauge and hand-eye contol. I can cut exactly square to the surface and to incised layout. End grain is smoothly cut with no need of end grain clean-up. Side grain needs texture from cutting and raking teeth removed, quick work for a heavy slick and paring chisel, in oak. Not a good option for someone starting out or someone with an experimental attitude. But a well configured Mafell is a simple place on the timber cutting champ.

The Makita chain mortiser is able to cut any mortise as wide as the chain or larger, of course the wider mortises require multi plunging. The machine has the character of a well designed gismo; clamps, advance levers, rotating head and stops are usually just as strong and as precise needed, sometimes I thought more robust base would refine results.

Both chain machine can be adapted to angled mortises needed in rafter to ridge or rafter to valley work. The chisel machine fails on easy adaptation to angled to surface work.

The chisel mortiser is very well adapted to work in complicated Japanese joinery requiring steps, keys, cogs and dovetails. It is the champ at controlled depth work. The Makita chisel machine has a much more robust base than the Makita chain mortiser, so there is a weight penalty but the operator is in effect using a drill press and is without doubt in a safer non-entangled working posture. Work progresses a slower more contolled fashion.

Finally I urge timbers be placed on short horses(knee high or lower) for chainsaw mortising. The design requires operator dominance. I believe step stools and chainsaw mortisers should not mix.