General safety rules with any skill type hand held circular saw: "NEVER BACK UP WITH BLADE TURNING". The number one cause of kick back is the blade catching the side of the cut already made while backing up.
If you are making a forward cut and the blade wanders off line or off your intended line, stop the blade by releasing the switch. DO NOT MOVE THE SAW, until the blade has stopped turning. Then remove the saw from the wood and start in again, and you can make release cuts or relief cuts to prevent the wood from binding on your saw blade.
I insist that the saw remain still until the blade stops turning at all my workshops. Soon after I instructed a bunch of students about this, one of the students emailed me to thank me about teaching them about saw safety as he just seen someone who had 17 stitches in what was left of his thumb from a saw kick back.
Safety first, read all manuals that come with the saws, and make some practice cuts to get the "feel" of the saw before making a precise cut.
Good luck and work safely.
Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!