I just completed a 4,000 square foot frame. My situation may be a bit different than most viewers at this site, in that I cut and milled my own oak and ash for the posts and beams, although I used pine for the floor joists. In setting up my posts, and laying the beams on top, which were 10X10 and 12X10 beams, on 12' and 14' centers, I chose not to use tennons/mortices, or at least not too many. There were a couple places that I used rudimentry tennons in attaching the garage and some other locations, but generally, beams were butt attached, and laid directly on posts with the second floor built from the platform on top of the ceiling for the first floor.

I started using tennons and mortices, but found it to be a HUGE investment of time, so bought the Simpson metal ties for the butt joints.

Basically, on top of all butt joints, I tied them together with two 3/64" thick X 1.5" wide metal ties, and about 7 galvanized nails per side of butt/per tie. In addition, I used 12" galvanized spikes down into the post, giving 2" penetration into the post, plus I used a thorough amount of construction adhesive on all joints.

Why is there such a fuss about tennons? Why won't this design work just as well?

My 45 degree supports also were a mixture: some with and without mortices. For those without mortices, I applied the same principle of using the Simpson ties to the exterior of the home, so they are concealed once the walls are in place. Why am I not as good off as the old fashioned folks using time consuming tennons?

Thanks,