I'm a first-time timber-framer, and I feel no need to execute an English tie-joint or any other extravagant joinery that some mid-evil joe thought up. There are plenty of ways to carry out a structurally sound join, and the thought of a 6" timber screw or ½” re-bar join should not be automatically dismissed.

I plan to build a simple 10'x20' shelter using timber-frame designs, however I am going to do it myself and I plan to use whatever methods will save me a buck. This mode of operation should have high appeal to anybody who appreciates the beauty and timelessness of timber-frame construction. For a while, it was the only way to build. Maybe that time has come again.

Anyway, I will be using some mortise and tenons in my design, and my research tells me that it can't done in simpler fashion through some less involved procedure. But as regards residential design, I don't think that anyone will notice the circular holes of the pegs versus the small indentations of timber-screws. (Especially if it is contained inside a sealed wall.)

Just the two cents of someone who loves carpentry.

Regards, Tim