I see that I have upset Whit and Emmett, who have "taken umbrage" at my post. I understand your reaction, but you know not of what you speak if you believe timber framing in the US is to the tolerances I am speaking of. When the width, thickness and length of the timbers you use are all +- 1/64", then your umbrage will be justified. When your frames go up without any gaps at the connections, and every joint intended to be 90 degrees on paper is indeed 90 degrees, +-.015 degrees without any jobsite adjustments, then I will apologize and call you master. When you can cut and label the joints and all parts in your frame in two hours, and then erect not only your frame, but install your wall sheathing, roof sheathing and floor sheathing and exterior envelope insulation in 1.5 working days, then I will prostrate myself before you in abject humility. Until then, please calm yourself. Oh yes, and if you know of any good architects interested in doing this kind of work, please let me know: I have lots of work for them.

Regards,

Stan Covington