Thank you for your interest and amusement: I so seldom have the opportunity to be entertaining.

The tolerances I mentioned are necessary for several reasons. First, the CNC machinary in our factories work to precise tolerances, whether we ask them to or not, and so require material of precise tolerances. As you know, 1/64" is not especially tight by CNC standards.

Second, the erection times I mentioned are not possible if tolerances become sloppy. This is simply because, contrary to statistics theory, in the real world errors tend to accumulate in obedience to Murphy's Law, not cancel each other out. In order to keep a CPM schedule, or program as they say in the UK, jobsite adjustments are not acceptable, and so tolerances must be tight, or Murphy reigns supreme.

Third, the 30,000 customers that own our frames expect the quality such tight tolerances provide. Difficult to believe, I know, but if you doubt it, I suggest you build a few frames for Japanese clients in Japan and see what tolerances they expect, and observe what claims you field after consruction is complete. Brutal business indeed compared to US or UK standards of business (I worked in London for a time as a General Contractor, as a GC in Tokyo for ten years, and another 15 years in the US).

As to 30,000 units standing in 600 years, you jest. You might as well ask how many steel buildings will be standing 600 years after erection. War, wind, fire and fashion wait for no man.

Stan