Gentlemen:

I was directed to this forum by the managers of the Timber Framing Guild as a result of a web search.

My Grandmother did the geneology, and my brother followed it up in England decades later. Two Covington brothers came to South Carolina around 1720 (I don't recall the exact date) apparently from the Manchester area. The Covington men kept marrying English immigrant women right off the boat (or at least born in England) for many generations afterwards, so my biological links to England are strong and wide. When stationed in Germany, my younger brother visited England and the old churches and libraries where he confirmed the tradition of carpentry. The old English churches kept ledgers of payments to tradesmen, and many of those had been transferred to microfiche and are available to the public. I don't know about the Suffolk frames Jonathan mentioned, but apparrently the old boys did a lot of religious carpentry work.

Covington is indeed an English name, although there are many theories about the origin, some viking via Ireland and others Anglo-saxon, and others having something to do with a tribe that lived in a settlement by a cave (cave=cuffa). Idduno.

As to old tools, I have an good collection of antique saws, mostly US, some British, some Japanese. When I lived in Japan, I had twenty or so custom chisels made for me, and I purchased a lot of planes and saws, and even an adze (I have never used it, but it is cool). The Japanese have a deep love of sharp things, and do a great job of making them.

Of course, I have all the usual carpentry tools, as well as an Inca 12" tablesaw, and a 10" Inca combination jointer/planer, chopsaw, drill press, and a full compliment of hand-held power tools. I use them evenings and weekends to make doors, furniture and remodel the house. I also have a side business making furniture samples. My wife and I came to an agreement: if she keeps silent about the sawdust and the pounding in the basement (she calls it the "temple of testosterone"), I won't complain about the frilly drapes she insists on hanging everywhere.

For what its worth.

Stan