tb, I would go to iforgeiron.com and search the Blueprints section for some homemade forge ideas. I have a couple of brake drums off a heavy van and I am going to make one into a homemade forge. I was given an electric Buffalo blower so I will use that. Basically you need a brake drum, a piece of pipe for a stand, something to mount it on to keep it from tipping over, and an air source. An old hair dryer that doesn't heat anymore works well, or you could find one at a junk shop and unhook the heating element. You will need a little welding experience as well.

You mentioned that you need a peavey as well, you can make a ring dog in the forge as well. It has a peavey style hook hanging from a four inch ring that you slide a four to six foot pole through. I used an ash pole a little over two inches in diameter. The ring dog only takes up about ten inches and you can just peel a pole when you get to your job, and you don't have to worry about fitting a new handle, they just slide right in. laugh
You mentioned you are from Woodstock, I don't know how far that is from here, but I have an extra brake drum and a set of rebar hewing dogs that I don't want. Let me know, they are yours if you want them. If you need any more help with forging questions just let me know and I'll do what I can to help. This weekend I am going to start dismantling a nice little 16x20 timber barn that is going to be my blacksmith shop, I will build a brick or stone forge in there once it is up next summer.

I have been thinking of selling some of the timber framing tools that I make in the blacksmith shop, like dogs, ring dogs, and drift pins, but I doubt there is much demand. I really don't like the modern versions of the old tools. Have you seen the new froes? Just a piece of flat stock with the edge ground on it. Functional, but not the same as the old ones.

Dave

edit: I see Woodstock is just above Kingston, to get to my place you would have to get over to 9, take that to Hillsdale, take 23 to MA and I am ten minutes from the NY line. I think Kingston is maybe an hour.

Added blacksmithing tip: you can get smithing coal (low ash bituminous) at Aubachon Hardware, $7.50 for a 50lb. bag. I looked all over for good coal, and it turned out to be only ten minutes from my house.

Member, Timber Framers Guild