timber brained,

The best handles are split from a log rather than sawn, for the same reason the best pegs are split rather than sawn. Continuous grain.

It's easier to shape the handle with the wood green or semi green, but make sure the wood is dry before you fit it to the head. Because I am not terribly patient, I prefer to just use dry wood rather than wait to finish a handle until it dries.

I like hickory for felling axes and hatchets and virtually any hardwood with the appropriate shape for a broad axe. Hickory is very resilient and strong, and it doesn't transmit vibration as bad as other woods.

Saw a kerf in the head end of the handle for a softwood wedge (hardwood will work loose). I also drive a metal wedge or two nearly perpendicular, but not quite, to the wooden wedge. Don't glue the wedge.

For felling axes and hatchets, when you sight down the bit like a gun sight, your eye should fall somewhere within the fawn's foot at the other end of the handle.

As far as the shape goes, find one you like that is comfortable and copy it.

I don't make my own felling axe handles as the local hardware store has pretty good ones for $15. They have decently straight grain and a full, well shaped fawn's foot. Of course, I always look through all of them and pick the best.

And don't forget-- there's more than one way to hang an axe and this is just mine.

Have fun and good luck,

Gabel