Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 718
Member
Member
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 718
Or have ever heard of, for that matter. Saw this one yesterday while out for a drive.



Member, Timber Framers Guild
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 235
Member
Member
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 235
I think it would almost have to be built like a bridge. I wonder if they would let you get inside pics.
What would the benefit be to enter the barn above the threshing floor?
This is very curious indeed.


Life is short so put your heart into something that will last a long time.
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 332
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 332
Cool. Where is it?

Jim


The closer you look the more you see.
"Heavy timber framing is not a lost art" Fred Hodgson, 1909
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 718
Member
Member
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 718
It's in Tyringham Mass. About 15 minutes from me. I guess they wanted to get the wagon up high to unload into the mows on either side of the middle bay. I'm guessing there is a floor above the threshing floor, but couldn't tell from the road. I can see one post in the middle, so it isn't a free span which would have been really cool. I think this might be part of a Shaker settlement. I'll have to do some more research.


Member, Timber Framers Guild
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 447
Member
Member
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 447
That is a nice one, and it is called a Barn Bridge is it not ? It leads to the high drive.

I'm curious as to what suggests to you a Shaker connection. Have you seen the barn foundation at Canterbury Shaker Village ? It was a massive three story High Drive Barn, the granite ramp is itself massive, and built just like a bridge abutment, a backwall and wingwalls, but on a huge scale. Perhaps a hundred feet long and I know it is thirty feet high, and that sixty feet from the barn.

I've seen photos of it before it was lost to fire in '74, but never one shot from an angle in which you can see it's bridge.


"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 718
Member
Member
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 718
There is a Shaker settlement within a couple of hundred yards, I am guessing this building is part of that, but not sure. I've always seen barns with a bridge called high drives in the books. I guess if you have a bridge, you also have a high drive.


Member, Timber Framers Guild
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
High and dry drives.

Tim

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 447
Member
Member
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 447

Good info on High Drives & Barn Bridges in this fine Book -

http://books.google.com/books?id=2W1Lq_n...arn&f=false


"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 718
Member
Member
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 718
I have that book. The Cascade barn was about 6 miles from me.


Member, Timber Framers Guild
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 570
Member
Member
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 570



Here's one near me, circa 1850, measures 42 X 70.

How big is each section of that one, Dave? Perhaps they were built at different times.



Don Perkins
Member, TFG


to know the trees...


Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.200s Queries: 36 (0.174s) Memory: 3.0303 MB (Peak: 3.5644 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 04:44:38 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS