Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 8
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 8
I made these dogwood wedges (or gluts) last week with a bow saw and hatchet. Dogwood is easily shaped with a sharp axe when "green", but is extremely tough to work once it has been dried. This toughness really make it good wedge material. We had to cut some trees down, and couple of the trees that had to be cut down were dogwoods. The trunks were cut into 18"-22" lengths and both ends were sharpened.





WIth both ends sharpened, the lengths were cut in half with a bow saw.





Then the tops were beveled to prevent splitting.





I have found that dogwood wedges are very durable, light weight, and can work as well as iron wedges. They can usually be made from "found" wood or trees that have been cut when clearing.
*And, of course, always use good technique and safety equipment.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,696
J
Member
Member
J Online: Confused
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,696
Nice post, thanks for sharing...


Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 946
Member
Member
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 946
I often make my own wedges on the job, out of the limbwood of the tree I just felled and need to split. That way, I can make wedges customized to the log needing split, longer wedges are nice for especially large logs but too much hassle for smaller logs, and this way I also don't have to worry about beating them up too bad.

But then we don't have dogwood hereabouts either, so that could make a difference.

I am a fan of making things instead of buying them, it's a good mindset to have!


Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 8
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 8
The first thing I used the dogwood wedges for was to make a mallet. A cut was made with the bow saw and the wedges were used to "waste" the wood around the handle.






Last edited by lumberguy; 04/14/11 09:38 AM.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.300s Queries: 23 (0.263s) Memory: 2.9819 MB (Peak: 3.5649 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 06:37:13 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS