Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#32529 08/11/14 01:42 AM
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 16
Member
Member
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 16
Hello Folks,
Due to unforeseen zoning issues (i.e. I didn't actually read the zoning ordinance completely) I've had to push back my building from last year to probably spring. So I've decided to put my barn up first, but I've got a questiong about plate splices. As seen below, I think I've got a correctly located splice, but this leaves me needing 4 32' timbers.


It seems like 32' timbers are going to be hard to source, so I've been contemplating 2 splices per plate, but I believe that every section of plate should be sitting on at least 2 posts. Is this correct? Would it be reasonable to forgo the plates entirely and run the beams between the posts? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 16
Member
Member
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 16
Addtionally here's a rough(very) copy of the sketchup file if anyone is interested

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
Yes, that was done traditionally. I have just finished up sourcing 33' 7"x10" plates, I had to cut trees and saw them myself. The day after I cut them the logger called and said he had the timber I was looking for, after waiting for months. They will be good for the next project. I did a similar splice location.

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 83
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 83
We have trouble getting long timber here. Anything much longer than 20' just won't go into our sawyers sawmill. So we spline our top plate through the post.


Leslie Ball
NaturallyFramed.ca

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.198s Queries: 23 (0.171s) Memory: 2.9806 MB (Peak: 3.5649 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 08:57:10 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS