Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#33680 05/24/16 03:58 AM
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 5
O
Member
Member
O Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 5
Hello,

Anyone out there have any experience with the Granberg 555b Mini Mill?

Really looking for a pros/cons review of it.

Thanks.


-OH.M.
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
Chainsaw mills seem like a lot of work. Are you building in a remote area?

Joined: May 2016
Posts: 5
O
Member
Member
O Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 5
Yes. Lots of open space in the woods and will be setting up some sort of waist high stand to get good ergonomics. What is your experience with this exact model, TIMBEAL?

Regards,


-OH.M.
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
No direct experience. But I do run a band mill.

Joined: May 2016
Posts: 5
O
Member
Member
O Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 5
I was just thinking that in my original question, I should have been clear that I intend to use the Granberg 555b mini mill to mill (4) 35 foot 10x10 beams.


-OH.M.
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,696
J
Member
Member
J Online: Confused
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,696
I used a similar type of mill once. It was very hard pushing the saw through the wood.
What type of wood will you be sawing 35' long?

Jim Rogers


Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
Its doable, just don't go blindly into the night.

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 305
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 305
Try a hewing axe. More fun.

Joined: May 2016
Posts: 5
O
Member
Member
O Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 5
Jim-
I'll be milling Rock Oak, and using a Stihl MS650 saw, thanks for the reply and advise. BTW- you have some great YouTube videos, safety first and efficientcy. No chance I could get you to do one on chainsaw milling?

timberwrestler-
I'm sure it would be, but a good axe is hard to find.


-OH.M.
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
I reworked both these hatchet into hewing axes. I have not cash involved in them, both gifts if I recall. Keep an eye out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUSwEJOyLIQ

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.253s Queries: 36 (0.218s) Memory: 3.0313 MB (Peak: 3.5649 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 06:42:31 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS