Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 23
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 23
Hi All-

I'm wading deep into a barn restoration project on my parents' farm in western NY. One of the structures dates to the 1870s is full of awesome hand hewn oak timbers.

I'm taking on most of the project myself, but I'm looking for somebody in the area to take on the stone foundation repair/replacement. Any suggestions?

Also- The joists in a "newer" section are beech with only one side milled flat. The bark was left on and powder post beetles have done their worst. I'd like to replace the joists with timbers off of our land since the budget is tight. Beech, ash, soft maple, and basswood are fairly common. If I get the bark and sapwood off, is there any preference?

Thanks for the input!

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
Kevin, if it was me I wouldn't worry about species. I would look at improving the stand of timber. Try and select timbers of a similar size log that was originaly used and combine that info with thining/improving the timber stand at your folks place. Peal the bark off this time. I don't know why they didn't in the first place, I see lots of older timbers with the bark still on, they seem to be fine for the most part, bug holes, but still working. I don't see much power post beatle issues here in Washington county ME. Here is a futher question. Do power post beatles attack mostly hardwood or do they not have a favorite wood? Tim

Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,124
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,124
Beech!!!!

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 23
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 23
Hey Tim-

Thanks for the reponse. As a forest consultant stand quality is a part of every decision. It's good to run into a like-minded person.

The powder post beetles area actually a group of different species. Some species go after hardwood, others after softwood. The damages can be pretty severe. We have some huge joists that have been destroyed.

Thanks again,

-Kevin

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 23
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 23
Hi Mark-

I'm glad to get the beech endorsement. The property was high-graded in the early 90s (I was in 8th grade, no forest management background at that point)leaving lots of beech in between the oak and maple stumps.

Beech was what was originally used but I'm guessing the problem was the bark being left on? Do I need to mill it down to only heartwood? Any considerations for drying?

Thanks for the input-

-Kevin

Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,124
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,124
I have seen beech with no bark on get plenty of damage. If you have beetles now, and they like beech, I would be wary.

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 23
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 23
Dang, I was afraid of that. What now? Will getting it down to the heartwood help? Treat the new beech? Switch species?

I just finished a read of the hewing thread. A lot of good stuff in there. I compete in lumberjack competitions (chopping and sawing) and it's good to see there are other axe junkies out there. I'm shopping for a broad axe and I'm going to try out hewing a beam or two this year.

Thanks-

-Kevin

Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,124
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,124
Can't tell you much more than that, Kevin, sorry. Maybe some pro arbourist will pipe up
( - :

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 23
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 23
Thanks for your input. Hopefully there is someone out there that that can give us both some information.

Being in Warsaw, have you done anything with Fleming College? I spent some time there as a colligiate lumberjack competitor in the mid 90s. I still get up to see some friends in that part of the country (Sebright, Barrie). I'm supposed to meet up with a buddy of mine in MacTeir in a week or two for some ice fishing in that area.

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
Kevin, ever been to the Bar Harbor lumber jack competition? I think it is part of a circuit. You could check with your local university extention office on bugs. They have been helpfull in the past for me. Try googling the life cycle of power post beatle, I may try that my self. Sounds like you should stay away from the Beech though, or just try it and see how long they last, maybe you won't see thier demise. Tim

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.185s Queries: 36 (0.163s) Memory: 3.0337 MB (Peak: 3.5647 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 07:48:07 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS