I guess I answered part of my own question...I was in a library which has all 20 volumes of the Oxford Dictionary and it is amazing. However, there still are words and contexts not recorded by the Oxford.
Here is an abreviated list of terms I found intersting from Modern Practical Joinery by George Ellis (1908). It is of Brittish origins.
Market Forms of Timber
A Log is a trunk felled
A Balk is the log squared by an axe or saw
A Plank in hardwood is any cut stuff upwards of 9" wide and 1.75" thick; in softwood upwards of 10" wide and 2" thick.
A Deal is over 2.25" thick and less than 10" wide.
A Batten 1.5" to 2" thick by 9" wide or less
A Board- less than 2" thick and 6" wide
Die-Square Stuff-between 5"x5" and 9"x9"
Whole Timber- uncut balks
A Flitch-half of A balk cut in two lengthways
Quartering- 3x3 to 4.5x4
Scantlings- Miscellaneous cut stuff
A square of flooring or match boarding is 100ft. superficial
A Hundred of Deals is 120
A Load of Timber- 50 cubic feet
A Float of Timber- 18 loads
Ends- cutoffs
Poles- Straight trunks, free from branches, greatest diameter not exceeding 8"
Masts- ditto exceeding 8"
Of course, there are more terms than these...and then there is timber framing!
Jim