Hi Don,
Ah ha - I clearly did not pick up correctly on what you said but fortunately I still concurr with your restated broader objectives however do we really need another forum ?
Both TFG and CF have members who are knowledgeable in the design and construction of timber frame structures. I am also aware of another parallel community that exists mainly to record, research and analyse vernacular buildings and the trick might be to establish a forum where there could be an interchange of ideas and information. One of the problems with this "other world" is that it can get a bit stuffy, bitchy, jealously protective and maybe a bit more willing to take than to give.
Following up on Whit's advice about falling TFG membership numbers might it not be better for TFG to take the lead and provide that forum and encourage a new class of international membership where top class information exchange might be fostered, encouraged and supported. I know from first hand experience that this is a proposal fraught with difficulties but maybe some one with better skills than me knows how to make this work. Jim Rogers has had good sucess with his Forestry Forum - is that the kind of model that you have in mind ? Other ideas for consideration please but as Don requests please stay "on topic"
Regards
Ken Hume